How Do I?

Visit the Courthouse

Visit the Jail

Tour the Jail

Set up an individual in custody phone account

Get more information about individual in custody trust accounts

Report for S.W.A.P.

Submit a Records Request

Submit a certification request for U or T – Visas

Request Medical Records
Note that the Cook County Sheriff does NOT maintain or have access to Cook County Jail individual in custody medical records.  You must contact Cermak Health Services, under Cook County Health and Hospital System, in order to obtain individual in custody medical records.

Request a criminal background

Contact the Clerks Office

Serve a Subpoena on the Sheriff’s Office

File a Firearm Restraining Order (FRO)

Request Movement for Electronic Monitoring, or check on a pending Movement Request
Contact or call 877-326-9198

Report Suspected Domestic Violence:
If the violence is occurring right now, call 911. If you suspect ongoing violence, call your local police department.

Report Suspected Child Abuse:
You can either call police, 911, or Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) at the child abuse helpline 800-25-ABUSE (800-252-2873)

Report Suspected Animal Cruelty:
If it is an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, you can call the Cook County Special Operations Unit at 708-865-4720 during business hours or the 24-hour patrol desk at 708-865-4790.

What do I do if I find a gun?
Do not touch the gun. Call 911. Notify the operator of your location and the gun’s location. Then describe what the gun looks like to the operator.

I am trying to sue the CCSO or a CCSO employee, and I have questions about service of summons / process:
Please contact for questions regarding service on the CCSO or CCSO employees as defendants, or for general questions about waiver of service of process by CCSO defendants.

We strongly encourage the use of email to effectuate Waiver of Summons for serving lawsuits. If service of process is required in person, summons may be brought to Room 701, Daley Center, 50 W. Washington, Chicago IL during normal business hours of 9am-5pm. Service will be accepted for the CCSO, its Departments and the Sheriff in Room 701. Service will be accepted for individual employees who are currently employed and serving in active duty (not currently on an extended leave of absence). Confirmation of an individual employee’s work status may take one business day to confirm. Service of process for other Cook County agencies, offices or employees cannot be made through the CCSO.

Report a Crime Tip:
You may call Sheriff’s Police Patrol desk at 708-865-4790 or
To submit a tip anonymously click here
You may also call Crime Stoppers at 800-535-7867

Get my towed vehicle back:
Go to the Sheriff’s Police Patrol Desk at 1401 Maybrook Dr., Maywood, IL with the following:

  • Valid Driver’s License (or bring a licensed driver with you)
  • Valid Insurance Card
  • Proof of Ownership (title, original purchase papers, rental agreement)
  • $500 cash or credit card (surcharge/convenience fee added)

You will get a paid stamp on your receipt from the patrol desk. Go to the towing company with the documents listed above and your receipt to get your vehicle back. There will be towing fees. For more information, call the towing company.

Get recovered property back:
If property is “Hold for Owner,” the owner can come with valid identification to pick it up. Call 708-865-4841 to make an appointment.

If property is “Hold for Investigation,” the property has to be released by the investigating officer before the owner can pick it up. The owner can call 708-865-4841 to inquire.

If the property is a gun, the owner needs to have court order papers, or a completed gun packet (notarized) to have property released. The owner can call 708-865-4841 for more information.

Civil Process

Evictions Guide – A Plaintiff’s Guide to Eviction Procedure

Service Of Process – Summons, Subpoenas and other court orders F.A.Q.s

Still not finding what you’re looking for? Submit your question using the form below: